Logging, log trucking, and other forest industry-related employers are concerned about availability of skilled personnel entering their workforce. The community of Veterans and Reservists holds many likely prospects for entry-level employment, both because of these men and women’s skill sets and their broader character and experience profiles.
We would like to introduce the community of Veterans to forestry employment and what it may offer to transitioning Veterans’ career goals. We would also like to draw forestry and logging employers’ attention to the potential of Veterans to fill out their teams.
The Veteran-Ready Workplace: a Q&A
Logging Vocational Schools
Forestry Program Director
Coastal Pines Technical College
1701 Carswell Avenue
Waycross, Georgia 31503
Executive Director and CEO
Forest Equipment Operator Training School, Inc.
809 Greenwood Circle
Cary, North Carolina 27511
Resources for Job Seekers
What general resources are available?
The Department of Veterans Affairs has resources to help transitioning veterans assess their skills and acquaint them with job-seeking resources.
Soldier for Life
Soldier for life is a U.S. Army program designed to help soldiers transition to civilian life and gain employment based on their exceptional training, critical skills sets, and proven talents that can be used in their local communities.
Soldier for Life Employment Resources
Soldier for Life Contact Info
Equipment Operator & Log Truck Driver Training Program
- NC/VA FOROP Program (Doug Duncan) – mobile classroom, location moves with harvesting locations. See FRA Technical Release 15-R-14.
- Beaufort County (NC) Community College has recently implemented a Log Truck Driver add-on to its CDL operator training program. (FRA Technical Release to be developed.)
- Harvesting Operator Training Program at Coastal Pines Technical College in Waycross, GA. (See FRA Technical Release 16-R-14.).
- Operator Training Program at the College of Central Florida in Chiefland, FL.
- Log Truck Driver CDL add-on program at a community college near Madison, FL.
- Louisiana’s THEO Program; currently no classes/enrollees. (See FRA Technical Release 15-R-15).
Our technology is behind the system configured to implement the Department of Labor’s industry apprenticeship programs by helping Employers successfully establish apprenticeships for the military community and providing actionable analytics to the DOL for continuous improvement.
Resources for Logging and Forestry Employers
The Department of Labor’s concise summary of considerations and preparations advises Employers planning to reach out to Veterans.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s “Hiring Our Heroes” resource, with local event links.
Institute for Veterans and Military Families (Syracuse University) guidance to employers
- Revisiting the Business Case for Hiring a Veteran (24 pages)
- Supporting the Employment of Veterans and Military Families (172 pages)
Veterati: Military to Civilian Transformation